Design 36 : Geocaching t-shirt

featuredMerch Amazont-shirts

Written by:

Tammy introduced me to Geocaching.  I love search and find computer games.  Geocaching is just like that but outdoors.  You have the GPS coordinates (longitude and latitude) and the occasional hint so you know about where it is but it can be surprisingly difficult to find the little buggers.. Usually you are searching for tiny capsules with tinier notebooks to scribble or stamp your initials to celebrate your find.  You find yourself climbing through dry riverbeds, peeking under city light, and under rocks.  Sweating, dodging cactus, and yeah, even espying the occasional rattlesnake while you search for the cache that some stranger hid just for you to find.  It’s fun. It’s the perfect activity for autumn now that the raging hot days are finally cooling.

So I designed a t-shirt to celebrate Geocaching.

Caught between a rock and a hard place geocaching t-shirt

I started off taking a photo of a geocache between a rock and a brick.  And then I pulled it into Topaz Labs to filter it. I found I liked the monotone and grunge looking ones but nothing was quite what I wanted.  I went back to Photoshop and found they had a new modifying layer called Black & White which was perfect.  Once I got the black&white mode the way I liked, I threw on a layer of a golden brown and used the blend mode “soft light” to create a sepia tone effect.

I think the sepia tones bring out the textures more.  The colors clashed to me so the monotones toned them down.  I do love Photoshop’s new modifiable layer.  It’s a lot of fun.  What do you think?

©2018 M.LaFreniere, all rights reserved

Disclaimer: I am the t-shirt designer. T-shirt designers in the Merch Amazon program receive a royalty. I am also an Amazon affiliate: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

9 Replies to “Design 36 : Geocaching t-shirt”

1. Tammy Bose says:

Love the design! I am an avid geocacher myself, and often find myself squeezed between trees, buildings or rocks to reach a cache container. The sepia reflects the rugged and nature side of the hobby. Great job!

• MNL says:

Thank you! So happy someone totally into geocaching loves it. Thanks for introducing me to geocaching too. It’s a lot of fun!

2. Brian Frum says:

That’s a great big version of hide and go seek!

• MNL says:

It is! And a lot of fun. Some people do puzzle caches. What you find is a puzzle you have to solve — if you solve the puzzle, it tells you where the actual cache is. One person in town did a bowling alley theme — they hid their caches near a bowling alley. Tammy likes to hide hers near a vintage neon sign.

3. I have never seen a “geocacher” in real life. I think they all should get your shirts and wear them for identification purposes!

• MNL says:

lol, look for the people reaching under the city light bases or sticking their arms down safety posts or staring up into trees. Once you see one, they’ll start popping out all over the place. I’m really surprised at how many hiding places there are in the city

4. […] I am researching Cool Geocaching T-shirts.  Since I am an affiliate for Zazzle, today I am starting with them.  Affiliates earn a small commission if you click a link and buy something but it doesn’t effect your prices. Over the next week, I will be visiting  other sites like Design by Humans, TeePublic, RedBubble and a lot of others to check out more.  With so many artists uploading their designs to POD sites, I am looking for fun, cool and/or humorous Geocaching T-shirts. I expect each site I visit will likely have their own zeitgeist so the shirts will be different. Geocaching T-shirts, you ask?  It’s a fun new thing I’ve started doing this year and I’ve begun designing my own line. This week I uploaded my first geocache design to Merch Amazon. […]

5. Tammy B says:

I love geocaching! It is a fun hobby, just as you have described. You really need to add the photo of the huge rattlesnake we saw by moonlight when caching on BLM lands that night. Nice t-shirt design. https://geoadventuresfun.wordpress.com/